The 5th Co-operative Principle, “Education, Training & Information”, serves as a useful reminder that one of the keys to success for a co-operative lies in investing in your members. As well as job-specific and co-op specific training it’s important to help new co-op members understand that all co-ops share the same history, values and principles and philosophy as part of an international movement.
Our co-operative induction session picks apart the fundamentals of what it means to be a co-operative and enables new members to gain an understanding of how co-operative principles apply to their co-operative and their role within the co-op.
Co-operantics induction training includes:
- What is different about a co-operative business? Different types of co-op
- The history of the UK co-operative movement
- Co-operatives as an international movement
- Review of some essential co-operative skills: communication skills, participating in meetings, decision making
- Rights and responsibilities of membership; member job descriptions and member agreements
We can offer a bespoke session for your new members; alternatively, if there is sufficient local demand we will run a regional session together with new members of other local co-operatives. Contact us for more information or to discuss your needs.
Here are some testimonials from a recent Induction training with newer members of Essential Trading:
- Really informative & good handouts. Be good to see others have similar training
- Very informative!
- Very happy with the workshop especially the history of co-ops covered